St. John's - the capital and port of Antigua and Barbuda - is located to the northwest coast of the island of Antigua in the Caribbean Bay. The population of the city is about 23,000 residents. St. John's was founded in 1632 by British colonizers, who arrived from the island of St. Kitts. Thirty years later, the city's population has grown, when the second big group of colonists came here from England. In the XVIII century, St. John was appointed to be the headquarters of British Royal Navy in the West Indies. In 1981 it has became the capital of an independent state of Antigua and Barbuda. The production and export of petroleum products, rum, sugar and cotton is highly developed here. St. John's is also widely known for its pottery, weaving and handicraft workshops.
The city is a bustling center of tourism. Among the main historic sites should be noticed the Court House of XVIII th century, the remains of Fort James and the Anglican Cathedral of St. John - still existing building with a beautiful baroque bell tower, built in 1845. Among the other attractions worth noting the Museum of Island’s History, located in the building of Kurt House, built in 1750. To get acquainted with local life, will also be interesting to visit the city market, open on Friday and Saturday mornings
The total area of the country is about 443 sq. km. It is the favorite vacation spot for thousands of tourists thanks to a lot of convenient bays, protected from storms by coral reefs